You've been injured in an accident: what to do to protect your rights.
Bolingbrook, Illinois Car Accident Lawyer
The most common type of accident people tend to be involved in is that of a car or auto accident. Whether it is a minor "fender bender" or a serious collision, the steps you should take are the same.
1. Call the police immediately and answer any questions they have regarding how the collision or accident occurred. Be sure to tell the officers if the other driver did something wrong to cause the accident.
2. Assess your injuries while on scene - if you're injured be sure to tell the investigating officer and others on scene to assist you in getting the medical help you may need.
3. Take down the names, phone numbers and addresses of any and all witnesses who come to the scene.
4. If you have a camera near by have a friend or family member take photos of the accident scene.
5. Do not admit fault for causing the collision or for the cause of your injury.
6. If you feel your body stiffen up in the days following the injury be sure to seek medical assistance; the longer you wait to get medical help the less likely it will be for you to recover for your injuries.
7. Do not talk to anyone representing the other party or their insurance company about the how the injury occurred. Additionally, do not complete any claim forms or other reports for anyone other than your own insurance company or their attorneys.
8. CONTACT AN ATTORNEY IMMEDIATELY. The law limits the time you have to file an action for injuries due to the negligence of others. The amount of time you have also varies depending on the type of case involved.
9. Remember, investigating police officers do not determine who was "at fault", they merely investigate. As such, just because you receive a traffic ticket this does not mean the accident was your fault. Contact a Bolingbrook auto accident attorney before you go to court for any ticket you receive from such an accident.
Injured in an Auto Accident? We Can Help.
If you have been injured in an auto accident having a lawyer on your side ensures that your receive the compensation that you deserve and are treated fairly by the insurance company. The process starts with a free consultation and if you decide to hire us there is no up-front cost to get started.